Saturday, July 6, 2013

In Shared Custody, Who is responsible for buying school supplies and school related items? What does support generally cover?

Q: My ex and I have shared custody. Even though our child lives with us 50/50, I pay support to my ex. My ex claims that I am still responsible for buying school supplies, etc. I do buy my child clothes, hygiene items and have paid school fees.


A: David's Answer: Under such circumstances, if the support order doesn't say otherwise, such expenses should generally be shared 50-50. That said, it's probably not something worth taking to court.  This is because generally speaking the Support Magistrate would only deal with "unreimbursed educational expenses," which if not otherwise agreed to by the parties is generally taken to mean private school tuition, but NOT school supplies.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment