Saturday, November 3, 2012

My husband left me in 2009. I have asked him for a divorce several times. He says soon. How can I get one after 20 years?

Q: He works for Con Ed and makes good money. I recently returned to work and make very little money. We have been married for 20 years. We have three kids together, which I get child support for. I do not receive any spousal support. He recently moved in with a girlfriend. I really need assistance. 

David Bliven’s answer: You may indeed be entitled to maintenance (spousal support) depending largely on the disparity of income (while also factoring in the amount of child support he's providing). You may also be entitled to a share of his pension as well as any other marital assets. In terms of affording an attorney, some attorneys may be willing to take the case on a payment plan or sliding scale, with the anticipation of getting some fees reimbursed by your husband (assuming he makes 6-figures or close to it).

No comments:

Post a Comment