If you established paternity thru the court, then it doesn't matter that his name is on the birth certificate or not - he is the legal father of the child. As such, you must commence a chance-of-name proceeding. Please consult the court's website for further details: http://www.courts.state.ny.us/forms/namechange..... You should also consider consulting a Westchester Family Law attorney on the issue.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)