Tuesday, December 31, 2013

I had a custody hearing last Sept 2013 and lost because I represented myself, my whole case was based on son's medical condition

Q:  Due to a lack of funds I acted pro-se and represented myself plus the court appointed attorney did not want to represent me because all he wanted me to do was to drop my case & I should be happy I have joint custody. My child's blood chemistry was at extreme deadly levels of which my complaint was all about. By the time we finally went to trial my son's blood chemistry went back to normal because mother was scared, when I attempted to present my medical case I was unable to show it because I was not a medical professional. The children's Right Society was not on my side nor did they care, so I became stage freight and lost my focus so I lost my case. Two weeks ago I found out that my son's blood chemistry is back to an abnormal deadly level again. What can I do I cant sleep at nights.


A:  David's Answer:  First, you should not represent yourself. If you are too poor to afford an attorney, the court can assign you one. If you do not qualify for free representation, there are many lawyers who offer sliding scales on their fees - shop around (even to adjoining counties). Next, I'd need to know more details as to why you think the mother is to blame for your child's "abnormal blood chemistry." Schedule a consultation with an Orange//Westchester Family Law attorney for a full assessment.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (www.blivenlaw.net)

No comments:

Post a Comment