Saturday, December 21, 2013

Is there any way to get protection for my daughter and I from her emotionally abusive father?

Q:  My daughter's father uses my daughter constantly against me. He is emotionally abusive. I have sole custody and visits are as agreed upon. I try to work something out, buy, every time, I am threatened with court. I want a divorce, but can't afford one. I can't use legal aid because he used legal aid when he tried to take her when she was a newborn. he has told me time and again, he will fight a divorce. I just need help. I feel like I am trapped in a corner.

A:  David's Answer:  Shop around - some attorneys offer sliding scales on their fees and/or will agree to collect the bulk of their fees from him if he makes significant money. It certainly sounds like you need a better defined visitation schedule so everything's clear between the two of you. Schedule a consultation with a Family Law attorney in your area for a full assessment.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment