Friday, May 24, 2013

I live in NY,and my daughter and her mother lives in CT. My daughter is 19, not in school or living at home, when does CS end.

Q:  In 2011 my daughter and her mother had a physical fight and my daughter left and starting staying with my sister. I got in touch with her and told her that either she goes home or come live with me or the police will be involved and she replied that she would rather go with the police. I than called the police and met them at my sisters apt. but before the police came my sister took her to stay with someone else. At the time my daughter was 17 and she hasn't lived at home since. I went to family court here in Westchester county and was told that they could not do anything and that I had to go to CT family court. I than went to CT family court and was told that they can not make her go home or come live with me because she was 17 ,and that CS ends at the age of 18 in CT.

A:  David's Answer:  Which state issued the support order, CT or NY? If NY, then support continues until age 21. The best thing you can do if she's not living with the mother is file a change-of-payee petition if the order was issued in NY. You can always take her in yourself, in which case you'd have a basis for a termination petition. Nevertheless, you're encouraged to schedule a consultation with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment.  -- David Bliven,  Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment