Friday, October 17, 2014

How do i file for custody?

Q:  I live in VA and my 13 yr old son and ex wife live in Yonkers NY. My son wants to come live with me, He feels he is old enough to make his own decision but mom will not allow this, Do i need a laywer or can i file for petition for custody myself. What form do i need?

A:  David's Answer:  You can certainly file a custody petition - the forms are on the court's website: That said, I'd advise you to at least consult a lawyer, if not hire one. Merely having the child say he wants to live with you doesn't mean you automatically get custody. Call a Westchester Family Law attorney to schedule a consult.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment