Saturday, January 10, 2015

Enforcement of Order to pay for legal fees

Q:  I obtained an order in which my ex has to pay for part of legal fees I incurred fighting back his appeals which were denied. My ex is not a salaried person and while he is rather rich he has also made him self Judgment Proof by hiding all his assets and income. What is my recourse in collecting the monies he was ordered to pay me. My specific question is if there is precedence in which a person can be jailed for not paying for legal fees ordered by Family Court. I believe that a petition for imprisonment is the only way of collecting any money from my ex since he effectively hid all his assets and claims he has very little income from self employment yet he lives a lavish life style which was documented in front of the judge who issued the order for him to pay for my legal fees.

A:  David's Answer:  Yes - you can file a motion for contempt. You should nevertheless exhaust all other attempts to collect the amount, as before the Judge jails him s/he needs to be satisfied there are no other methods to make him pay. Schedule a consult with a Rockland/Westchester Family Law attorney for a full assessment.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment