Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Is there an agreement my wife and I can sign before we have children that we will not raise our children a particular religion?

Q:  My wife and I are thinking of having children. She states to me that if we do we will not raise them her religion but I do not believe her because she always tells me what I want to hear and when the rubber hits the road just does what she wants anyways. Is there an agreement we can sign beforehand that is legally binding, stating she cannot raise them this religion?

A:  David's Answer:  Yes, you can draft a post-nuptial agreement. I would be more comfortable, however, if you do so after the children are actually born, so that a later court doesn't read the provision as a hypothetical.   -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment