Saturday, June 15, 2013

My husband left me and my daughter two month ago and got his own apartment. I am very ill and can't work.

Q:  I suffer from multiple autoimmune diseases and have not worked so I can't apply for disability. So far he has paid the bills and rent but is threatening to stop. If he does, I will be on the street. I certainly can't afford to hire a lawyer. What are my options. Please, please help me. I am desperate.

A:  David's Answer:  Some lawyers under these circumstances will apply to the Court to force your Husband to pay counsel fees. It laregly depends on how much he makes, as the court will need to look at his income - after factoring in that he'll be paying child support - to see whether he not only has sufficient income to pay his own attorney, but also enough to pay for yours. You may also consider filing petitions in Family Court for child & spousal support. I also suggest that you schedule a free consultation with a Dutchess/Westchester Divorce attorney for a full assessment.  -- David Bliven, Westchester Family Law attorney (

No comments:

Post a Comment